Saturday, September 25, 2010

Pear-sicles and Baby Food

I mentioned before that I've been making baby food for Addison. I realized the other day that I've become one of those moms who doesn't want their baby eating weird chemicals and who knows what else - especially after the Similac recall (if you haven't heard there were beatle pieces and larva in the formula), it makes you think twice about what you're putting into your kids.

Health benefits aside...it's actually a lot of fun and pretty easy to do.

Every Saturday when we pick up our Bounitful Basket I set some of the fruit or veggies aside to make into baby food. I'm still learning what Addison can eat so I use this website a lot: http://wholesomebabyfood.com/ It tells you how to prepare the fruits and veggies and at what age you can introduce them.

So now the fun stuff.

Last week we got pears so I washed, peeled, and cut them in half (I also scooped out the seed/core thingy).



Then I put them in a pan and added enough water to come about half way up the pears. Then i put the lid on and let them steam cook for about 10 minutes.


After they were cooked and really soft I pureed them in a blender then poured them into a ziploc bag. Then I snipped off a corner of the bag and piped the pears into the trays. You could just spoon the pears in but this makes it way easier to get the puree into the ice cube trays (and way less messy ;).

Then after they've frozen I pop them out into ziploc bags. Each cube is approximately a 1 oz serving. So far Addison has been enjoying sweet potatoes, apples, and pears.


I've also found that frozen pears are AWESOME for teething. I just cut the cube into thirds and put a piece into her mesh thingy. She loves it!


5 comments:

Adam and Bri VanSleeuwen said...

Way to go Rosie! I love how neat and organized you are. I think it's great to make your own baby food and it saves money. I did it for Cooper and it was so worth the time.

Heather said...

I love how you say "those" moms....I just became one too! But I'm lucky enough to have a plethora of empty baby food jars since I just converted...so I freeze my baby food in those first and then the ice cube trays when I run out of jars. Wish I had more jars!!! It's very very convenient that way...

Team Beardshall said...

Moo Ha Ha, I totally found your blog....not that I am a stalker! Now I know what you do with all those pictures that you take. And only a weird mom would not care what they are putting into there baby, especially after the formula recall (EWWW)! Just wish I knew or looked into more how to make my own baby food. How do you like the bountiful baskets???

Randi said...

you're awesome

Emma said...

Mmmmm...you're making me hungry. My husband told me that when I make the baby food, I can't eat it too- it's for the BABY. Ahh man! there's nothing like some fresh baby food!