Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Plantains and Piononos

In my zeal to try any new fruit/vegetable that we get from Bountiful Baskets we cooked up our plantains Monday night. I found a recipe online that sounded pretty tasty called Piononos - which is basically a cheesy plantain fritter.

Here is a peeled plantain:


I cut the plantain in quarters then pressed some shredded cheese together to put in the center. After a quick dunk in an egg/flour bath they were ready for the oil.


They fried on each side for a few minutes until golden brown and the cheese had a chance to fry a bit.




I figured if we ate them with a salad (also with veggies from our basket :) then it would cancel out the fried part :)



They were pretty good. The plantain is sweet and has a mild banana flavor and the cheese was salty and chewy in the center. They were fun to try!

Addison declined trying the plantain and opted to finish off her elephant instead. Apparently she has a taste for exotic food.

1 comment:

Randi said...

hmm interesting idea! I still haven't tried mine yet, there are so many things to do with plantains I am not sure if we should do sweet or something more like what you guys tried.