Monday, February 9, 2009

Generational Gap: Observation 1 (of many I'm sure)

So last Wednesday I attended my first mutual activity with my Beehives. Coming into Young Women's I thought - this is great, I'm not that much older than these girls and will able to really relate to them, right?

One of our girl's mom is the Beehive advisor. Her daughter was teasing her about LOVING Bon Jovi. I figured these girls would think I was cool because in highschool I was post-Bon Jovi and I listened to 'NSYNC.

That's were I was wrong. When I said I loved 'NSYNC in highschool they said - Who?

Who?! How can they not know who 'NSYNC is?! So much for trying to be cool :)


I'll probably need to dust off my old CDs and photo albums for another mutual activity. Maybe we can talk about the "oldies" and I'll educate them on the boy bands that helped pave the way for the Jonas Brothers.

I'm sure they'd be so impressed with this picture from my first 'NSYNC concert (yes I went to more than one :)



And they'd also think I'm super cool because 'NSYNC decorated the inside of my locker :) (Isaiah will be so embarassed I posted this. If any potential birth moms read this post please know I'm way cooler now :) (LOL)


Really I should have done my homework. My girls were between the ages of 3 and 6 when these pictures were taken. Wow, we really are getting old!

I imagine this will be the first of many observations of the generational gap between my 26 year old self and these hilarious beehives!

4 comments:

Erin said...

Oh Rosie, I'm right there with ya. I know you guys all looked at me and Carrie Davidson like we were crazy when we started singing Donny and Marie. I found myself singing many, many 80s songs..alone. It's ok. I know who NSYNC was. Don't worry. You are not old. Just wait until your YW get married, then you really feel old!! (like me...you can call me grandma if you'd like...I was born WAAAAAY back in the 70s...)

Rosie said...

LOL, that cracks me up:) The Donny and Marie moment has come full circle! You are right! I totally remember when you and Carrie taught us the Little bit Country/Rock and Roll song and none of us had any idea what you were talking about.

Heather said...

Who is NSYNC?! C'MON, PEOPLE! Are we really that old?

Amy said...

LOL! I love this post. I sure miss those fun girls. I had several of those GG moments too. It's shocking to me that they didn't know who 'NSYNC was either! I mean come on!
P.S. So jealous you got to concerts.
P.P.S. Would you hate me if I said I liked the backstreet boys a little bit more. I mean they were the ones who actually paved the way. :)*ducks from airborne tomatoes*